Interested in Organizing a Free Neighborhood Planting?
The Deadline for Fall Plantings is JULY 15th–More Info Below!
A HUGE thank you to all of the dedicated Tree Leaders, Residents, Volunteers, Board Members, Parks Department Staff, Friends, & Family who came out to help plant 272 trees with us this spring!
The Providence Neighborhood Planting Program (PNPP) is a street tree planting partnership between the Mary Elizabeth Sharpe Providence Neighborhood Planting Program Fund, the City of Providence, and the residents of Providence.
Since 1988, The Mary Elizabeth Sharpe Street Tree Endowment has matched Providence Parks Department funds to provide trees, soil, sidewalk preparation and tree delivery at no cost to Providence residents who apply for and receive a Neighborhood Street Tree Planting Award.
These tree plantings happen twice a year, in the spring & fall. The application deadlines are:
- January 15th for a Spring Planting
- July 15th for a Fall Planting
More info on planting applications may be found HERE, or email or call PNPP Director Cassie Tharinger with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org, (401) 368-5380
Like us on Facebook for program updates, photos, and news from the tree community!
PNPP celebrates 25 years and 10,000 trees!
To receive street trees through the Neighborhood Street Tree Planting Award, neighborhoods should have:
- A volunteer to organize a Neighborhood Street Tree Planting Award application.
- Requests from at least five properties for at least one tree at each property within an area of one to two city blocks.
- Documentation of property owner consent to street tree planting.
- Help from each property owner or resident to help plant their tree on planting day, water weekly and weed regularly.
Do you live in one of these neighborhoods?
PNPP especially encourages the following neighborhoods that are most in need of street trees to apply for Neighborhood Street Tree Planting Awards.
- Smith Hill
- Federal Hill
- Washington Park
- West End
- Upper and Lower South Providence
If you do not live in these neighborhoods, we still welcome your application.
Download your Application Now
- Spring Neighborhood Street Tree Planting Award Applications must be postmarked by Jan 15.
- Fall Applications must be postmarked by July 15.
Need help? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions Page.